Actual Spent: 128$
- Pork roast
- Fage Yogurt (a splurge for us!)
- Diced tomatoes and tomato paste
- Ranch dressing
- Frank's Hot Sauce (a necessity)
- Cornbread mix
- Muffins mix
- Tea (2 kinds)
- Brown rice
- Eggs from the farm!
- A pizza from Domino's
- 2 delicious meals from Raising Cane's
We were out of several staples and had a little money from last week, so we didn't worry too much about sticking strictly to the budget this week. We had a few splurges (like farm eggs and Fage yogurt).
CSA: Here's my post about this week's CSA experience. The kale went into the white bean soup. The beets, beet greens, and lettuce made salads. The turnips became amazing turnip fries and not-so-amazing pork loin sides. The chard and other greens became side dishes and snacks.
- Pork loin, sauerkraut, and turnips
- Linguine with olive oil, parmesan cheese, and shrimp
- Steak, turnip fries, and braised chard
- Beans and cornbread
- Oatmeal muffins (with either eggs or yogurt)
- Spaghetti (once with mushrooms, once with just plain marinara)
- Spicy white bean soup and salad with cranberry vinegarette
What we learned:
- We can eat delicious food (like muffins, pasta, and pizza) and still lose weight. Hello, portion control!
- Vegetables are our favorite! But our meal plan doesn't necessarily reflect that. I should work on more meatless meals.
- Eating out kills budgets! We've got to be more careful about giving in to dining out, even when we do have a little extra money.
For more details on Project: Food Budget, click here.